So you have decided you need a PT.
Time was that meant going to your local gym, now though there are other options as more and more PTs offer online training too.
So which should you pick? This is my opinion on the pros and cons of live v online PT (note I do a bit of both so perhaps that makes me biased, perhaps more objective I don’t know!)
– If you’re new to training a PT with you as you train will help build your confidence
– They can review and correct your technique
– They can keep you motivated
-Making an appointment with someone makes you get to the gym
– Expense – you are paying for an hour of that persons time, if you want to do that three times a week that’s going to cost a bit
– If you have experience in the gym you may not always need someone with you
– You have to fit training around both your schedules so it’s not particularly flexible
– You are limited in options as you need to train where the PT works
– If you are confident in the gym it provides you the coaching and guidance you need without someone watching over you – you can still get feedback on lifts, advice
– Complete flexibility as to when you train
– Often cheaper than live PT
– Can be completely tailored to you – giving you as much or as little support as you desire
-Allows you to pick a coach from anywhere and train anywhere
– If you aren’t sure about training this option can be harder (although not impossible with many coaches offering videos etc for guidance)
– You need to motivate yourself to get to the gym and train and be honest about what you are doing.